We have had an increasing number of enquiries asking how can moulds be used to provide a small additional income or a starting point for an actual full time business and one of the most obvious answers resulted in this article. We will pursue this theme to cover other points of interest in future newsletters. We hope to provide something of interest for everyone.
How to Make Concrete Stepping Stones Using Moulds
Concrete stepping stones tastefully laid in a home garden are easy to make and add to the beauty of the layout. If you can use moulds that are unique or different from the mass produced pavers sold at your local garden centre, so much the better.
This article will outline the simple processes required to make your own Stepping Stones.
You make concrete stepping stones in three easy steps.
- Wipe the mould out with a concrete release agent usually a light vegetable oil.
- Mix and pour ready mixed concrete, available locally, into the mould.
- Leave overnight and then remove the finished paver or stepping stone from the mould.
Of course there is a little more to it than that, but basically these are the three steps required to make your first concrete stepping stones. Anyone can do it.
The advantages of producing your own are
- You make them on site, no heavy lifting from the garden centre
- You cut your costs to a fraction of what you would normally pay.
- Many unique designs are available, allowing you to be different.
- Make the pavers as you need them, no waiting
The beauty of concrete is its durability and very low maintenance. Properly mixed concrete will last for one hundred years and will be getting stronger for much of this time.
The concept of concrete as a plain grey innocuous looking material is a thing of the past. The use of original designs available, with the addition of colour that withstands exterior exposure, have made concrete a modern attractive material to use, to enhance your home or place of business.
Colour can be added to the finsished article, but to give a more permanent coloured concrete stepping stone it is more usually added:
- in the mixing stage
- dusted into the moulds before pouring.
To make pavers resemble natural stone or to fit the décor of your home:
- Use a base colour added while mixing
- Add subtle colour additions by sponging or lightly dusting several colours into the empty mould, prior to filling the mould with the concrete mix. The colour is absorbed into the concrete and is permanent.
You do not have to be an artisan or skilled tradesman to make your own concrete stone stepping stones. A sheet of instructions accompanies every mould and guides you through the simple process. There is also on line assistance available. Select a stepping stone mould design that suits your home layout and start enjoying the improvement that a simple stepping stone walkway can bring to your garden.
Many have found that making pavers and stepping stones has caused interest amongst friends and neighbours and led them to start small home based businesses. This is a business that can thrive with a local production centre as the cost of transport can be a very big part of the sale price, if they are made a long distance from local sales centres.
This is leading us to develop complete do-it-yourself paver kits as a means of permitting local entrepreneurs to earn additional income, by developing small home based local manufacturing and sales outlets for concrete stepping stones.
Whether you do it purely for yourself or are interested in doing it for someone else you will find that concrete stone stepping stone moulds are a fascinating addition to your home activities.
Aldax Enterprises Pty Ltd T/A Aldax Moulds
22A Hearne Street Mortdale NSW Australia 2223